Anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in Oakland or Macomb County, Michigan is eligible to open an OUR Credit Union account.
When you join OUR Credit Union, you become part of a financial cooperative that includes more than 20,000 members. As a member of OUR Credit Union, you are an owner, not just another account holder. Each member/owner is required to maintain $5 in a Savings Account to utilize OUR Credit Union services. Each member also has one vote in the organizational affairs, such as the election of the Board of Directors.
What makes a credit union different from a bank? Learn here.
Want to make the switch from another financial institution? Simplify the process with our easy to use Switch Kit!
- Employees or members of employer groups or other organized groups that are located within 25 miles of the credit union's branch offices are eligible. (Each group must provide a written request for service to the credit union. The Commissioner may permanently or temporarily revoke the power to add groups under this provision at his/her discretion)
- Any person who receives a retirement annuity, pension, social security or similar retirement payment from private or government sources, and lives in, or belongs to a retirement organization located in the county, or in a county contiguous to the county where the credit union's principal place of business is located, is eligible.
- Members and immediate families of the foregoing are eligible.
- Any legal entity that is comprised for the most part of the same general group as the membership of the credit union as outlined above is eligible.
- A spouse of a deceased member if accepted into membership prior to remarriage is eligible.
- Any person making an individual membership donation of $20 to Kids Kicking Cancer is eligible.
OUR Credit Union is All About You!
Top TEN Reasons Being OUR Member is Awesome
- You are OUR Top Priority. We value the Credit Union Motto: "Not for profit, not for charity, but for service."
- You are an owner of OUR Credit Union. As a member, regardless of how much you have on deposit, you have an equal voice in how your credit union is run. Our Board of Directors are volunteers and they're members too.
- You'll get competitive rates. Check them out for yourself, here.
- Over 5,000 branches and 30,000 ATMs Nationwide. We participate in CO-OP Financial Services, which means you can do many of the same transactions you do in our branches, nationwide and access many fee-free ATMs.
- You'll save money... and not just in your account! The Credit Union National Association estimates that credit union members save around $8 billion per year over their banking counterparts through better interest rates and reduced fees. We think that's worth bragging about.
- We believe in financial education. With strong traditions of member education, we strive to help members become more financially literate and independent. See our calendar for upcoming sessions.
- We offer accounts for all generations. We believe in providing an account that can grow with our members. Even our Oakey Dokey members are building positive money habits that will benefit them for life.
- We're committed to community involvement. You'll find our staff spreading the credit union philosophy "people helping people" with local organizations.
- We're a financial cooperative. You pool your money with other members to make loans and pay dividends to one another. By opening savings accounts and getting loans you make OUR Credit Union stronger and better able to improve services.
- We provide added benefits. Through our many partnerships and additional services, we offer discounts, scholarships, rewards and more.
Important Information About Procedures For Opening A New Account
To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account.
What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver’s license or other identifying documents.
If you would like more information on credit unions and the benefits of credit union membership, please contact the Michigan Credit Union League.
The Credit Union National Association provides helpful credit union information on a national level.